Prep Time :20 min Cook Time : 35 min Total Time :55 min Yield :32 Brownies
My daughter considers these brownies a miracle because they are nutritious and delicious. Plus, I usually let her eat a bit more of them than other treats. They are exactly the texture of "regular" brownies, with none of the glycemic effect. You do need to use powdered erythritol (though xylitol would probably work, too). If you like a more bittersweet brownie, cut down on the artificial sweetener. Note that these brownies (through some alchemistic process that I do not understand) really take on a brownie texture the day after you make them. I do not know why, but if you try them right out of the pan, do not judge them!
The reason that these have so much sweetener is that they have a lot of unsweetened chocolate.
1/4 lb butter (1 stick)
2 cups erythritol (powdered, not granulated)
1 Tbsp vanilla
4 eggs (room temp is best)
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 cups flax seed meal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup cream
2/3 cup water
Artificial sweetener equal to 1 1/2 cup sugar zero carb preferred, such as liquid sucralose
1 cup walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9X13 pan.
1) Cream the butter until fluffy.
2) Add the erythritol to the butter and cream them together until fully combined (aim for a fluffy texture).
3) Add the vanilla and beat the eggs into the mixture, one at a time.
4) Add salt and cocoa, beat well.
5) Add chocolate, beat until fluffy.
6) Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine.
7) Pour into a pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until top springs back.
(You can also test if they're ready by sticking a toothpick in the brownies. If it comes out clean, or almost-so, they're done.)
8) Cool, then cut into 32 squares. If you cheat and eat one warm, know that the texture will be different once completely cool. That's when they become like real brownies. (They are even better the next day.)
Nutritional Analysis: Each of 32 brownies has 1 gram effective carbohydrate, plus 3 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein, 10 grams of fat, and 107 calories.