Cauliflower ‘Bread’ with Avocado - ultra low carb YUM! - I…




Cauliflower is one vegetable that immediately piques my interest whenever it comes up in a recipe. It’s a vegetable that works so well with a host of other ingredients so I can’t help but take interest in how else someone has cooked it up. It’s also tasty in so many different guises: I love it as a soup (especially Rockpool’s Cream of Cauliflower with Parmesan) and the Thermo Mixtress, Tenina made an amazing dip last year at a cooking class using raw cauliflower. Versatile indeed!



Cauliflower is one vegetable that immediately piques my interest whenever it comes up in a recipe. It’s a vegetable that works so well with a host of other ingredients so I can’t help but take interest in how else someone has cooked it up. It’s also tasty in so many different guises: I love it as a soup (especially Rockpool’s Cream of Cauliflower with Parmesan) and the Thermo Mixtress, Tenina made an amazing dip last year at a cooking class using raw cauliflower. Versatile indeed!

Cauliflower Bread

I can’t say that my mother cooked cauliflower that often for family meals so I credit a Home Economics class in high school for enlightening me of this mighty vege’s goodness. Cauliflower Gratin and scone were two things I am forever grateful to have learned how to make back then! I still happily tuck into a simple bowl of creamy, cheesy cauliflower as a comfort food during winter.
















































The versatility of cauliflower really came to the fore with a recipe I found on Pinterest recently: Cauliflower “Breadsticks”. Thoroughly intrigued, I had a go at making it the other day and I have to say I became even more impressed by cauliflower. This recipe contained absolutely no flour (gluten free!) but the texture was amazingly bread-like. Cauliflower bread! I don’t think I cooked mine long enough to go super crispy but I quite liked the softness which reminded me of pikelets.



On my second attempt, I decided to not worry about creating breadsticks and formed round pikelet shapes instead to use as mini flat bread. It tasted great just with some avocado and sour cream but I can certainly imagine dozens of other lovely toppings that would work so well with this ‘bread’.

If you decide to give this a go however, I’ll warn you that the aroma of slowly baking cauliflower and Parmesan may be pungent for some noses (my husband’s) and this bread is best served hot out of the oven. Once it cools, the texture of cauliflower bread becomes more like a frittata. Still tastes great though!

Cauliflower Bread

Ingredients
½ small cauliflower, trimmed of core
one egg
¼ cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan blend (you can just use mozzarella)
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to season
1 tsp olive oil
Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 160C/320F (conventional ovens 180C/350F).
Place cauliflower pieces in TMX bowl and blitz on Speed 7 for 5 seconds until cauliflower is finely chopped. Use Turbo a couple of times to blitz any remaining larger pieces.
Add egg, cheese, oregano and seasoning and mix together on Speed 3 for a few second until well combined.
Line a baking sheet with baking paper and use olive oil to grease.
Place spoonfuls of the cauliflower mixture on sheet and spread out into circles, around 1cm in height.
Bake for 40 minutes until slightly dried out, browning, and firm to the touch.
Remove from oven and using a spatula carefully peel away from baking paper. Flip over and return to oven for 10 more minutes.
Serve immediately where possible.
source:http://gastromony.com/cauliflower-bread/

No comments:

Post a Comment